Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sneaky

14 So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the Lord. 15 And Joshua ymade peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live, and the leaders of the congregation swore to them. Joshua 9:14-15

So what's your take on the Gibeonites? Yes they deceived that Israel, but it worked. Joshua walks with integrity and keeps the covenant. Today I am reminded on how many times someone has either lied or even betrayed me. God does take evil and can turn it for good. Making them woodcutter and water carriers is not a bad deal for either party. My whole mindset this morning is that I am accountable for my actions to the Lord. I can't control what others will say and do but I can trust the Lord.

33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matt 633

Joshua did that by honoring the covenant he made, he had to be puzzled and w0nder what am I supposed to do now? Walking with integrity and in truth is always our battle plan.

Lord, help me trust you and walk in truth and righteousness. Be my defender, Be my source, Be my light, Be my center. Help me keep my eyes of others and live my life according to your word. Help me to trust you when life just does't make sense.

Making sense of it all.

Joe

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am amazed how many times Joshua keeps making this same mistake, the only thing more amazing is how many times I keep making this same mistake.

Josh 9:14-15
The men of Israel sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the LORD. 15 Then Joshua made a treaty of peace with them to let them live, and the leaders of the assembly ratified it by oath.

Then I think they turn bad to worse when they say we will let them live but instead of separating ourselves from them we will let them live with us and use them like slaves.

Josh 9:21
They continued, "Let them live, but let them be woodcutters and water carriers for the entire community." So the leaders' promise to them was kept.

The truth is too many times we let darkness be a comrade with us for many reasons most of them selfish. Then that same darkness becomes a snare to us. Then again we ask ourselves how many times will I keep making this same mistake. Instead of realizing the truth of Gods word.

2 Cor 6:14-16
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

Pastor Jack

Jamesgrigg said...

This is like a montage of Joshua destroying cities! Its like a video game and the next challenger just keeps on appraoching and losing! Its soo cool how powerful we are when we are on track and doing gods will!

Jay said...

This chapter shows me how important it is to inquire of the Lord before making decisions. Too many times I think that I know exactly what to do and I tell God, "I go this one" and I make my own decisions and choices and then everything goes bad. Father please be involved in every decision I make. Please help me to remember and desire to seek your council before I decide on my own that I know what is best.

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

By not inquiring of the Lord in this situation, Joshua basically makes the "nice guy" decision.

There have been many times when I have found myself just being the "nice guy" in a given situation rather than asking the Spirit to show me God's will.

But really, does it make sense that I would call myself a Christ-follower and then continue about trying to make "righteous" decisions on my own, as if He is the one following me?

Galations 5:25 (NLT) "Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives."

--nate dogg

Robby said...

I like that Nathan... Jesus wasn't a pushover, but did whatever the Father asked through the Spirit's leading.