Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Details and Enjoyment

Difficult chapter today because there isn't really any action here. We have an account of all of the kings defeated in Moses' time as well as in Joshua's conquest. But something that I got from this portion of scripture is that our God cares about the details. That's why His Word can't be proved wrong. We can base our understanding of history on the Bible because history is based on His plans. And to bring it to a more personal level, He is involved in every detail of our little lives. The word says that even the hairs on our heads are numbered and that He sees each tear that falls. He sees our every private moment and into our very hearts. He cares about the details.
Another thing that I wanted to point out was that Moses spent the time before they entered the promised land in battle fighting through the land. When Joshua entered into it it seemed like there should've just been peace. But we see that he had to conquer 31 kings! Their enjoyment of the promise was dependent on them taking hold of it, believing God in faith, stepping forward and ceasing what God had promised. What are the promises God is telling you to cease in faith in this season?

Robby

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Gabe said...

"31 kings in all"

How rad is it that Joshua had this huge list of kings that he destroyed! I look at this as an awesome legacy. This reminds me of what PJ shared last night about being fruitful. I look at this list as tons of fruit. I want to be able to look back at my life and never say "I should of done this or I probably done better in this area". I want to always know in my heart that everything that I do is done with the right motives and believing that it was God at work through me. By knowing that it's God's power that allows me to do things then I can have a peace knowing that everything was done the way God wanted it to be done!

Jwoolworth said...

I think that after all he has seen God do and the daily miracles in his life, from the daily manna to the walls of Jerico it is amazing Joshua is still afraid of this enemy. God says to him in vs 6 "Do not be afraid of them because by this time tommorrow I will hand all of them over to Israel".
This statment both amazes me and gives me hope at the same time.I want to believe I would not have that problem if I had seen all that Joshua has seen in his life. At the same time I know my fears and doupts in my faith and I have seen the lame walk and the blind see and the gospel preached to the world with my own eyes (the signs Jesus told John the baptist to prove He was the one). The part that still amazes me is what little faith we have when it comes to our physical well being.

My prayer today is Lord give me faith and I will work on my fear and my unbelief.

Pastor Jack

Jay said...

Like Robby said I think this is a great chapter to remind ourselves that God is involved in every part of our lives, even the details. Like many of us I find it easy to trust in God when there is a big problem or circumstance in my life. I believe that God is all powerful and can deliver us from any situation.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer. 29:11

But what about the everyday decisions in our lives? Whether to go for the job promotion at work, planning a vacation, what car to buy. God wants to be included in every detail of our lives. He wants to walk step by step with us even in the mundane details of life.

Uphold my steps in Your paths, [That] my footsteps may not slip. Psalms 17:5

The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Psalm 37:33


By including the Lord in all the details of our lives I believe we will be able to seize greater things than we could have ever imagined. Be used in ways we never have.

Father be with me in all my steps. From the big to the small. Help me to include you in everything.

Robby said...

Pastor Jack's comment hit me straight in the heart. I've seen the amazing abundance of God's provision, but I still struggle with trusting Him about money and bills. I get scared when it looks like I don't have enough when I seen the Lord bring money out of nothing.