Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Battle Cry of Obedience

Joshua's generation had seen firsthand the result of going against the command of God. They and their parents had wandered in the desert for 40 years for their disobedience, but in this chapter I believe the Lord is teaching them, and us for that matter, a very important principle: Victory and blessing come with a condition and that's obedience. Obedience pushes us out of the way, allows God to do His work, and creates a situation where only He can receive the glory. "It's not by strength, not by might, but by My Spirit, says the Lord." Today we're barraged with a gospel that requires nothing from us, but eye service and a smile. But the character of God has never changed:

"Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to the law which Moses My servant commanded you..." - Joshua 1:7a

"... abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love." - John 15:9-10

The Lord had given the Israelites very specific direction. They followed it and were victorious because of it. When have you obeyed the Lord and experienced victory because of it? Is there a time you can recall when you failed to do what God asked, resulting in defeat? What is a point of obedience that the Lord is pressing upon you today?

BE VICTORIOUS!

Robby

6 comments:

Nathan said...

"Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in.

And the Lord said to Joshua: 'See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor." - 6:1,2

As described in verse 1, Jericho was crazy secured. If there was one place I would have wanted to be during a war, it probably would have been this place. At this point, the children of Israel are probably wondering how on earth they're gonna take this place down.

But I love God's words to Joshua. He doesn't even make reference to how solid this place is. He's just like "BOOM I GOT THIS!"

This is God's attitude toward us at ALL TIMES. He has overcome the world! (John 16:33, 1 John 5:4,5)

My question to myself as I read this was "What do you SEE when you look at your life with the Lord?" If it's not annihilating victory, then I need to start looking through the lens that God is viewing my life through.

--nate dogg

Joe said...

I love the attitude nate dogg. Nice post Robby, but the Lord does require everything from us. Our life! I have been crucified with Christ. As they marched around the city, they for sure thought they were going to die. There was no thought of victory unless the Lord brought it. We too need to come to the place of death so he can raise us up in victory.

Gabe said...

I see this next part of my life as being my Jericho. I believe and have set my sights on going all the way through to my PH.D and this at first seemed impossible. I know that anything is possible with God but I believe that I acted like the children of Israel at first. Just because I know that God can do anything, I still saw this impossible task in front of me. But what I'm deciding to do is trust that God can and will take care and provide for me every step of the way. Even though I can't see how this will all take place I know who my God is and because of that I know that with Him I will have great victory which will bring Him glory.

Unknown said...

This is Pastor Jack

John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

I think the same question was asked of every soldier in the army of Israel that day, as they looked at those walls and knew in their own hearts if I attack the city, those walls, I am going to die today. Because they were not allowed to speak to each other they individually needed to decide “Do I Trust God Or Not” Do I obey and die or not obey and betray my family, my people, my God. Jesus said "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies. That day the battle was not at the walls of Jericho it was in the minds of the men walking around the walls of Jericho. They won the battle and the wall fell down.

Pastor Jack

Jamesgrigg said...

GOD tore down the walls of jericho like he tore down the walls of our heart! Nothing is impossible for god to tear down

Jay said...

the LORD said to Joshua, "I have given you Jericho, its king, and all its strong warriors. Joshua 6:2 I love how God states the future as though it has already happened. If I were Joshua my first thought after hearing the Lord say this would be, "Really Lord?" "because they still look pretty much alive and there are some thick walls in between us and the enemy" But God declared that it was already done. God wants us to have faith, believe in Him and allow Him to lead us into whatever he wants us to do. Lead me Lord, Lead me.