Thursday, April 7, 2011

Be Strong and of good courage

"This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." Joshua 1:8

The book of Joshua is a book about victory, inheritance, blessing, peace, and rest to God's people who meditate and walk in obedience to his word. God is calling us to a life of obedience and faith. My prayer and confidence is, as we trust his word we will surely grow and blessings will follow us all the days of our lives. Joshua's life and leadership demonstrated that spiritual maturity is not independence from God, but a responsive dependence on God.

All of us face different and similar battles today the command is to "Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid, not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

I believe the Lord is calling us to battle and today is our commissioning if you have decided in your heart to engage in this battle please respond with a simple yes or whatever your war cry may be. I am also asking each of us to pick a verse in Joshua chapter 1 and share how it has commissioned you in the battle you face. The land that was to be given to God's people could only be conquered by a united Israel. I know God, as called us together this day to support each other to defeat the battles we all face. WAR!!!!

Battling With You,

Pastor Joe

6 comments:

P Finch said...

Praise the Lord, this will be a great journey. I know we wander in the desert all the time, well its too hot for me there and I want to hold onto the promises of God.Thank you Pastor Joe and be blessed by our Lord. Peter

Robby said...

One of the things that stuck out to me was in verses 17-18.

"Just as we heeded Moses in all things, so we will heed you..."

They recognized and came under the authority and position that not only Moses, but God Himself, gave to Joshua through Moses. The anointing and calling of God is something we need to respect and come into obedience of. How can we expect God to trust us under His leadership when we can't even be trusted under the leadership he's appointed? I think the best leaders are those who display their obedience and humility as they fall under their own leaders and, more so, the leadership of God. Joshua did this exactly as he followed the commands of Moses. The apostle Paul was even bold enough to say "... imitate me as I imitate Christ." There's a confidence that comes from knowing you're coming and living in an authority greater than your own.
That's the type of leader that I'll follow into battle.

Joe said...

Your comment Robby challenged me to think of those times when God has called me to come under someones leadership when I don't fully agree yet God has called me to be obedient. I wonder how popular or unpopular Joshua was. Had to be super difficult to follow Moses.

Jamesgrigg said...

After reading this it totally inspires me to be a awesome godly man! I need to be
1. Strong and coragious
2. Read and obey gods word...meditate on it day and night
3. Memorize gods word so that it is always on my lips
This stuff is harder than it looks! I wanna rebel and go against this but like it says i will be put to death lol

Jay said...

I love this first chapter. It sets the tone for the rest of the book. I love that it commands us to be courageous, strong and to NOT be afraid or discouraged. It commands me to be courageous. Its telling me don't fear, I AM with you. These are powerful words.

P Finch said...

When life's trials weigh me down and they are to heavy for me to get myself up, I turn to the His word and listen for His voice which is some times hard to hear. I know He is there........... Giving me the courage to press on. I know who I am in Christ and He is my strength. Many time I get faint of heart in dealing with trials but Joshua shows me, he did not waver from who he was with the almighty God right there directing his path. Praise the Lord that the almighty God is still the same yesterday,today,and tomorrow. Amen