Monday, April 25, 2011

Sharpening the AX

14 Then the children of Joseph spoke to Joshua, saying, “Why have you given us only one lot and one share to inherit, since we are a great people, inasmuch as the LORD has blessed us until now?”
15 So Joshua answered them, “If you are a great people, then go up to the forest country and clear a place for yourself there in the land of the Perizzites and the giants, since the mountains of Ephraim are too confined for you.” Joshua 17:14-15

The children of Joseph were not satisfied with their lot; there was not enough room for there gifts they thought; they wanted more. Your complaint may be the same. that you don't have enough or given enough responsibility for your abilities. Are you constantly discontented with your present lot? Do you find yourself always wanting a greater role to serve the Lord? Today's reading my be bringing to light that the enemy is still present in your inner being. Do you find yourself saying, if only my circumstances were different! I had a different job! God will keep you where you are until you have lived to the full capacity in your present lot. I love Joshua's answer. If your so great get an ax and start possessing the land, go ahead! We can at any time decide to go it alone without God but in the end it will not be good for us. The Lord may be saying to some of us that we need to step out in faith and cut down some trees that are hindering us from greater opportunity for service for the Lord. So obey God in all things today. Stop the whining! Drive out the enemy! Cut down whatever it is that is preventing you from living a full life in Christ.

Pastor Joe

4 comments:

Jwoolworth said...

When I was young my father had a saying that went "Your eyes are bigger than your belly". The saying was used whenever I would take more food on my plate than I could eat. It is still true today. I always think what would I do if I won the lottery and forget to take care of the things right in front of me. The things God has given me never seem enough even though they are greater than I ever could have gotten on my own.

The tribe of Joseph forgot already who won those battles and whose land it was anyways. But most importantly they forgot that God had their best interest in mind when He gave them that land in the first place. They also forgot that God had already given the land according to their size the problem was their eyes were bigger than their belly.

Numbers 26: 53-55 53 “The land is to be allotted to them as an inheritance based on the number of names. 54 To a larger group give a larger inheritance, and to a smaller group a smaller one; each is to receive its inheritance according to the number of those listed. 55 Be sure that the land is distributed by lot. What each group inherits will be according to the names for its ancestral tribe.

Pastor Jack

Joe said...

My eyes are always bigger than my belly

Gabe said...

I really struggled with wanting more. During this season and what I feel is the upcoming season of my life. I'm totally just being ok with what God has given me and I'm going to try to remain contempt with what I got. I'm also going to try and keep my eyes the same size of my stomach.

Jamesgrigg said...

My eyes are bigger than my stomach!