Thursday, April 17, 2008

Guy Poncy - Mentor and Friend

A few days ago my mentor, friend and training partner ran into heaven. Today with family and friends we visited the site where Guy Poncy took his last steps on this earth. He was the only one who would call me "Joseph" when I needed to be corrected or pushed to become a better Christian, athlete, or leader. Here he is again pushing me to start posting again although, Dan and David have also helped in getting some more cups poured. This cup is all about Guy Poncy and I would love to hear of memories and post to honor one of the greatest men to ever walk the face of this earth. It was Guy who taught me how to ride, surf, and lead people. He was a Lt. for the Orange County Sheriffs, Coach, Teacher, Father, and husband. Pastor Rick says that if it wasn't for Guy Poncy he wouldn't be a Christian. I always felt that Uncle Guy was living the dream. Making an impact on the world while riding his bike, running the canyon's, and surfing trestles pretty much every day. I know today he is living is utmost dream in heaven with Jesus and it's because of that, I rejoice. My heart does break for all of us who are going to miss him. I know my days will forever be lived different because of him. I thank God that I have my relationships with Kristie, Tiffany and Renetta since all of them are a reflection of Guy. The only thing the girls are going to have to start doing is riding, surfing and running with me. More post to come but I wanted to pour a cup to Honor my mentor and friend Guy. Can't wait to see you my friend.

Joe

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a tragic loss as heaven gains another saint. Only if many more could have known Guy as we did. I no longer need to argue about who is the better shot at shooting our pea shooters. As Guy was a good shot. I argued just to get him mad. I will treasure the times where we got to talk about surf and our home turf Hawaii. I hope when I pass the same would be said of me. Thanks Guy I enjoyed your time here. Brada Sumo

Kristie said...

My dad was pretty much amazing. I find great comfort in seeing the lives that he touched and how many seeds he planted by simply being exactly who he was. My sister and I were talking to Rick yeasterday and we all decided that we were convinced he knew his days on the earth would be shorter than anyone would expect. Wy else would he jam pack EVERYTHING into such a short period of time? Running, Riding, Surfing, Coaching, Teaching, Music, Tutoring, Mentoring, Discipling, the list could go on and on.

Everyone I knew wanted to be like him...me included. Well, at least I wanted his legs (he had the most amazing calves I had ever seen). There are so many things that I remember about my dad...I couldn't possibly put it all into words.

I know that he is with me and I know that he is rejoicing in heaven. This whole thing is a one day at a time process. One moment I'm good and the next I am unable to speak through the floods of emotions.

But with time that will get better, I am hoping and praying for it. But for right now, thank you for everything. Me and my family are incredibly appreciative.

Unknown said...

I really didn't know Guy all that well i just meet him a couple of times from what i hear he seemed like a very awsome person. If anyone want's someone to talk to im hear to listen. luv ya all.
David

Dan The Man said...

I knew guy a little bit but heard awesome things about him. I knew he loved the outdoors and was very involved and helpfull in the church. I know him the best from his family. He has a lovely wife and has raised two beautiful and amazing daughters. I Know that now is a time to support one another through this valley. As Kristie said it is one day and one step at a time. Soon though we will be on the other side of the valley and eventually be reunited again with such an awesome man.

Much Love to the friends and family of the awesome Guy!