Friday, February 1, 2008

Watch, stand fast...

be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.

Apostle Paul's words from v. 13 in chapter 16. I wonder if that applies to computers. I am posting from a borrowed computer that has a busted screen so I'll have to make this short.

I have enjoyed our time in 1 Corinthians and all the input and there is talk about continuing on together. I'll let everyone know when we'll start again.

Paul's desire for them to stand fast is because the Corinthian beleivers would quickly forget the truths they knew and fall into false teaching.

He tell's them to be brave and press on. We so need to encourage one antoher to press on and be faithful. How many times have we've been filled up only to not cup back for a second or third cup. It's like a cup of coffe that has been sitting a while and has gotten cold. sometimes the waitress will come by and pour some coffee in and it refreshes the cup.

v.18 For they refreshed my spirit and yours. Therefore acknowledge such men.

All of us need a constant filling everyday so I urge us all to continue in the word daily.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. I have nothin but love your you.

Would you like another cup...

JOE

4 comments:

Peter Finch said...

Hey Pastor Joe,
I have a question. We were talking about running the race and we don't just run the race for us but for unbelievers and other spectators watching the race. What if you stumble during the race and although you get up and continue on the race, unbelieving friends and family use that for a reason not to serve God. You know how they will say, "Why should I serve God when look at them, look what they did." So, my question is, when you get to Heaven and see the Lord, will you be held accountable for them not serving God?
Alison

nathanael john said...

Corinthians 16
...Be on alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love...

This encouraging summation by Paul to the church at Corinth in verse 13 was both poignant then as it is relevant now. In working our way through the chapters that Paul wrote, I find a paradigm shift even in my own thinking, with considerations now being made to my “liberties” and the concept of romantic/brotherly (self-serving) versus AGAPE love. In working though these realizations, at the heart/foundation/center, lies the Holy Spirit. I remember asking for the Word to change my perspective before starting chapter 1…asking for the Holy Spirit to shape and guide my thinking, all with the “simple” goal of seeking to emulate Christ. And much to the expectation that God tells us that we should operate in, JESUS LISTENED, and gave me the desire of my heart. The Creator of the universe is blessing me on a daily basis because I’m seeking fellowship with Him. I remember reading in Proverbs the comfort that God promises each one of us who seeks it:

“…Christ is my Savior, one who is Omnipotent
Redeems His love through us by Grace
His Forgiveness, Blood like a blanket
Covers me entirely, til I sleep….”

The word of God can be revolutionary* if we let it. I desire to be a man who is trustworthy like PAUL, faithful like DAVID, diligent like JONAS, blind like JOB, moveable like ABRAHAM and above all, striving for the perfection as only JESUS attained.

Powerful stuff Joe. Can’t wait for the next cup! The little “*” by ‘revolutionary’ is for you to remind me about something I want to go over with you on our real Thursday morning cup of Joe/Nathan. And Pastor Juan, your words of wisdom and encouragement won’t be forgotten. Thank you brother!!

Cheers
nathan l

Dan The Man said...

Hey Joe when are you going to post again it will only take a few minutes.

It is hard to wake up sometimes when you do not have a cup of Joe around.

They best part of waking up is some Joe in your Cup!!

Dan The Man said...

Thanks for hanging today Joe.
I am praying for you and I am glad you are my friend and pastor!
I hope that this comment inspires you to post something!