Saturday, January 26, 2008

Agape

Ok I am not trying to be the greek scholar here but the english language just doesn't cut it when it come to describing the type of love were dealing with in chapter 13. The word agape describes a love that is based on the one who loves rather than the worthiness of the one who is loved. This type of love is not human. It is giving, selfless and expect nothing in return kind of love.

Christ died so that we might accept him. That blows my mind. If I am going to lay down my life somebody better appreciate it. But that's the point, agape love is not concerned if somebody appreciates you or what you do for them, it's unconditional. It's like me doing the cup of Joe and hoping as many people are blessed and coming along side us as we study Corinthians. The more feedback and post that come in the more motivating it is to continue on. Now if I operated out of true agape love It wouldn't matter.

I am reading Carolyn's Study bible today and it says "True love puts up with people who would be easier to give up on." If our love is directed toward other, we will rejoice in the blessings they recieve rather than the desiring those blessings for ourselves. I love to cook for people and I get more excited when others love the food, and that to me is better than eating it myself. So today it's all about being selfless with our love for others. Today were reminded not to be so easily angered and over-sensitive.

I am sensing that today some of us are experiencing some type of injustice. You might not be able to clear your name or don't know what you are supposed to do. Many times when I am experiencing gossip about me or some type of injustice I stand on v. 7

love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Many times people will ask me what am I going to do and I'll say "Love them."

Love never fails,
Joe

4 comments:

Pr. Juan said...

Remember the song lyrics for Tina Turners "What's love got to do with it?" For those who don't know what I'm refering to, here is the chorus:

"Oh whats love got to do, got to do with it
What`s love but a second hand emotion
What`s love got to do, got to do with it
Who needs a heart
When a heart can be broken"

I guess the songwriter didn't have a clue as to what love is.

Thanks to Ch. 13 we have a clear definition of true love, God's LOVE, and let me tell you: it has everything to do with everything.

I never knew love like this. I thought I knew, but the more I drew nearer to God the more I realized that my understanding of love was all wrong. Now it's a joy to be a disciple of Christ, learning to love Him and others as myself. In a nutshell that's what it's all about, "Learning To Love".

Be Blessed!

Nathan said...

It's been a while but I'm back for some Joe!

So.

God = Love (1 John 4:8)

Love = Unfailing, long suffering, bears ALL things (1 Cor. 13)

I am very humbled when I think on this concept. The God of the universe is willing to wait for me...hmm...wow.

And by a show of hands, who cannot wait to see God face to face instead of through a mirror?

/raise hand

I'm gonna be gettin back on the Joe! Seriously!

Бог хорош.

nathan

nathanael john said...

Sometimes it's amazingly hard to love. Paul completely goes out of his way to take a whole chapter explaining the transcendent impact that love has in our life for a purpose: because it is the most important facet of God's character to emulate; furthermore, it WILL be difficult at times, knowing that's all the more reason to SHOW love.

I love the Greek "AGAPE" definition of love. The very concept of selfless love is reflected here in verses 4-7(The Message-because it sounds cool):

"...Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end."

LORD help me to act in LOVE in ALL situations. I want to be known as a man who loves first because it was YOU who loved me first. Since I'm living for You, and You are perfect, I would like to operate in even just a PORTION of the love Your very nature exudes. Thank you for all that You are, and all that Your Word promises us to be.

Cheers
nathan l

Dan The Man said...

Scientifically, a healthy person can go approximately 40 days without food before they die of starvation. But without any water, a healthy person will last about 3 days. i believe that is what love is like. Even if we have none of the gifts we can practice love. THAT IS WHAT BEING A CHRISTIAN IS REALLY ABOUT! LOVING PEOPLE!
A church without any spiritual gifts can survive and grow. But without love the church will die. A person with spiritual fruit will is more easily recognizable as having the spirit than a person with spiritual gifts. I would rather every an endless supply of spiritual fruit than all of the spiritual gifts. Even if I could not heal someone I could love them. Hey you have the gift of prophesy? Awesome. But can you forgive "that" person. I think love is a sign of maturity in your Christian walk.

Verse 11 "When I was a child, i spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

When I think of how a child acts I know they are immature. I think being able to love the people that reject you, and hate you is one of the most mature things you can possibly do.
Christian=Christ Follower

What did Christ do?
He walked in love.

So as we are going throughout our day lets do everything we can with a agape love because that is what glorifies God.

"God please help me learn to love your way. I know that I can't do it without you. I pray that you teach me everyday and give me many chances to practice your love. I pray for my friends and family that in love we will be more mature and better united. Amen."